Thursday, July 30, 2009

Poem: Humidity

Green grass
Glistening
After the summer thunderstorm
Like so many knives against the soles of my feet

Air heavy
Time Heavy
Morning eyes blurry and bleary
After a good night's sleep

I spent a lifetime waiting for love
But it didn't come
I spent a lifetime hoping against hope
But it didn't come
I spent a lifetime waiting for my family to grow up
But it didn't come

Finally I left...

When you cut the anchor you cut the cord as well
Like Kurtz in the Congo
Or was it Vietnam?

Sometimes faith needs to grow in the absence of love
Sometimes faith needs to grow in the silence of others
Sometimes faith needs to grow in the presence of hate
Because hate feeds and devours and consumes and corrodes and erodes
Relentlessly like tooth decay

Sometimes faith needs to grow against all we believe in

Sometimes belief and faith are two separate things

Monsters of my youth come back
Middle-aged
Portly
Stretchmarked

I could not slay them then
No need to now

Just ignore what's happened

And pretend...

A world without people
A people without a world

Vines consuming
The modern day deluge washing over all our buildings
The animals dominate

As we become dinosaurs
Fossilized amidst the monuments of our existence

Abandoned buildings...

Condos...

Skyscrapers...

Toppled like nine-pins

Modern day Jerichos

No rams horns

No priests

No ark

No Joshua

No Canaan

No Promised Land

Just Nothing

(Look what we've become?)

(c) 07/30/2009 by Matthew DiBiase

No comments: